Flamin Clanz
Welcome Guest!
You can Log in, Register or click the DON'T DISPLAY AGAIN button to never display this Pop up again.
Flamin Clanz
Welcome Guest!
You can Log in, Register or click the DON'T DISPLAY AGAIN button to never display this Pop up again.
Flamin Clanz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Random Pictures
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 12:09 pm by Fallen-Angel

» HD TV's
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 3:17 pm by Proeliator Phasmatis Clan

» Left 4 dead 2!!!!
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 2:00 am by Fallen-Angel

» Update 4.01
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft EmptyFri May 22, 2009 12:23 pm by Hell Knight913

» What would you do in this situation?
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft EmptyTue May 19, 2009 6:20 am by Fallen-Angel

» Top 5 least favorite games
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft EmptyTue May 12, 2009 12:27 pm by Proeliator Phasmatis Clan

» What would you do with £1million?
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft EmptyTue May 12, 2009 6:25 am by Fallen-Angel

» New Alien Versus Predator Game
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft EmptyMon May 11, 2009 8:47 am by Hell Knight913

» hey visit this site!
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft EmptySun May 10, 2009 5:02 am by Hell Knight913

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
Hell Knight913
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_lcapSony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_voting_barSony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_rcap 
Fallen-Angel
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_lcapSony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_voting_barSony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_rcap 
Proeliator Phasmatis Clan
Lord_of_the_Smash
SicklyChris
TacoZoe
DragonHeart
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Flamin Clanz on your social bookmarking website
Forum Jobs

Here is a list of opening for the Forum Jobs

Advertiser

Chat_Moderator

Game_Creator

Reporter

Click here to see what the jobs are for.

Counter
Doom Masters

Flamin Clanz Hit Counter - Actived in December

Rocky Balboa - No Easy Way Out
Poll
Out of these games, which one do you like the most?
Doom Series
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_lcap29%Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_rcap
 29% [ 2 ]
Left 4 Dead
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_lcap29%Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_rcap
 29% [ 2 ]
Gears of War Series
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_lcap0%Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Halo Series
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_lcap14%Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Fable Series
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_lcap0%Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Unreal Torunament Series
 0% [ 0 ]
Age of Empires Series
 0% [ 0 ]
Sonic The Hedgehog Series
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_lcap14%Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Soul Calibur Series
 0% [ 0 ]
Call of Duty Series
 0% [ 0 ]
Mario Kart Series
 0% [ 0 ]
WipEout Series
 0% [ 0 ]
Guitar Hero Series
 14% [ 1 ]
Wolfenstein Series
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hell Knight913
Admin
Hell Knight913

Male
Number of posts : 322
Health :
Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft Left_bar_bleue200 / 200200 / 200Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft Right_bar_bleue

Alignment : Neutral
Registration date : 2008-09-30

Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft Empty
PostSubject: Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft   Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 11:30 am

It always seems presumptuous to sound a death knell for an enormous company. So perhaps this is more a bell closing round seven of a fight, but on the gaming front, Sony is looking bad. Really bad. And because of the company’s overall financial position, it will take far more than posturing to keep the console division in the game at all.

On the largely disappointing recent holiday retail front, and, indeed, in the face of the entire economy last year, the year’s results, Sony was hurting, according to NDP Group’s data. The top two sales spots were Nintendo’s Wii and DS. Microsoft’s Xbox 350 was a solid third place. But the Sony PlayStation 3 couldn’t even beat the million unit mark, although the PSP just squeaked by into that territory.

As Ben Kuchera at Ars Technica puts it, “You have to dig deeper into Sony’s performance to find the positive talking points.” Frankly, I’m not sure that even financial spelunking offers any real bright points. Looking at the company’s 2008 annual report, sales, converted to U.S. dollars, were about $14.7 billion. As the company points out, that was a 26.3 percent revenue increase over FY 2007, but still with a net loss of about $1.4 billion, or almost 10 percent.

It’s difficult to directly compare Microsoft, because the division that has gaming supports general consumer marketing costs, so the paper loss probably does not accurately reflect the actual situation. But we can look at Nintendo’s six months ending September 30, 2008: about $9.5 billion in revenue, or about a 20.4 percent increase over the same period in 2007, with about $1.6 billion in net income. And the same period in 2007 also showed a positive net income. Not only is Nintendo walking away with market share, but it clearly knows how to operate efficiently.

The question of how to make console designs pay off is a critical one, because it takes time to ramp up production and drive down costs so that units are profitable. I once spoke to someone at Microsoft who said that the general model has been to create units that sell at a loss in the first three years and then turn profitable over two additional years, with royalties off game titles turning the whole thing into a long-range profitable venture.

Nintendo has shattered that model with the Wii, bringing it out in the Americas in the fall of 2006 and running profitably by the next year. That is remarkable. The underlying business model of the industry is changing. What is Sony’s answer? Wishful thinking.

Sony claims that the PS3 is a ten year system. This has to be one of the most ridiculous arguments someone in the tech industry has ever offered. Consumer electronics product lifecycles generally run in the six month range. The gaming consoles are different because they have a much bigger nut to get to break even, so they can’t turn around that fast. But ten years? The company claims that the product is ahead of the market. Odd, because it doesn’t seem to do much of anything that can’t be done by the other consoles, except maybe Blu-ray compatibility, and as we’ve seen before, that’s not necessarily something people care about.

But Sony is serious because it’s probably going to take that long to actually make a profit on the device. According to an iSuppli report, the PS3 currently costs just over $448 to build, which doesn’t include software, packaging, and royalties. In other words, after having the system on the market for about as long as Nintendo’s Wii, the company is still losing money on every sale. And the current $399 or so price tag is what retail gets. Sony will get significantly less after the retailers take their cut. Given that the unit cost used to be over $690, Sony has an enormous collective loss to overcome.

But it can’t catch up to Nintendo and Microsoft because the console is just too flipping expensive compared to a Wii or Xbox 360. Such features as built-in Wi-Fi and Blu-ray and even free online gaming are nice, but consumers clearly don’t care. Regular people don’t view the capabilities as compelling enough.

Unfortunately for Sony, it probably doesn’t have the financial wherewithal to really compete on price by dropping prices to a competitive level. The company may report its first net loss in 14 years this spring. Shareholders will clamor for restructuring. Unfortunately, CEO Sir Howard Stringer is running into strong opposition to change from old guard management.

Sony’s is also in no financial shape to develop a new system. By the time it is, Nintendo and Microsoft will have moved ahead to something grander, leaving the PS3, and Sony itself, in the dust.
Back to top Go down
https://flaminclanz.forumotion.com

Sony Whistles In Console Dark, Outmaneuvered by Nintendo, Microsoft
Page 1 of 1